The holidays are swiftly approaching, and many of us are making our lists and checking them twice as we plan to buy gifts for family and friends. As a longtime supporter of independent bookstores and quilt shops, I encourage Elm Creek Readers to support small, locally-owned businesses in their own communities by “shopping small” on Small Business Saturday—November 26, 2011.
Why is it so important to shop small? Well, when you purchase something from a locally-owned shop, your dollars stay within your community. You help pay your neighbors' salaries and contribute to local taxes, an important source of revenue for services that benefit us all. You help preserve the unique character of the small town downtown, and you usually enjoy better customer service along the way!
To encourage you to support independent bookstores and quilt shops on Small Business Saturday, I'm offering my highly coveted, limited edition Elm Creek Quilts pins to you if you purchase my newest novel and/or pattern book as a holiday gift for that special reader or quilter in your life—or for yourself!
Here's how to participate:
1. Purchase THE WEDDING QUILT or TRADITIONS FROM ELM CREEK QUILTS from an independent bookstore or quilt shop on Saturday, November 26, 2011. Don't know of an independent bookstore in your area? You can find stores near you on the IndieBound website. Prefer to shop online? You can do that through the IndieBound website too!
2. Send me a copy of your dated receipt as proof of purchase. If you shop online, simply forward your email receipt to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you shop at a bricks-and-mortar store, you can scan in and email your receipt, or you can send it (or a photocopy) to me at Elm Creek Quilts, P. O. Box 620824, Middleton, WI 53562. The receipt must include the date of purchase.
3. You will receive a Wedding Quilt pin for each copy of THE WEDDING QUILT and one Elm Creek Quilts pin for each copy of TRADITIONS FROM ELM CREEK QUILTS, as well as one autographed bookplate per book. Please remember to include your postal address when you submit your receipt so I know where to send your pins and bookplates.
4. Offer is good only for books purchased on Small Business Saturday (November 26, 2011) from an independent bookstore or quilt shop. Not sure whether your favorite store qualifies as an independent? If it's a member of IndieBound, it does. If you're still not sure, write to me first and check! (Please provide the full name of the store and its address.)
5. Offer is good only while supplies last. These are limited edition pins, so please don't wait until the last minute to submit your proof of purchase. I would hate for you to be disappointed.
6. Purchases must be made on Saturday, November 26, 2011 and all receipts must be submitted by December 20, 2011 to qualify. I'll send out the pins and bookplates as soon as I receive your proof of purchase. Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery, longer if you live outside the USA.
7. Offer is void where prohibited. (I don't know where or why this offer might be prohibited, but that sounds important so I thought I should include it.)
8. You don't have to live near that independent bookstore or quilt shop for it to count. You don't even have to live in the US! I'm happy to send pins and bookplates overseas to Elm Creek Readers who are willing to support small businesses in the US. As long as the United States Postal Service can deliver packages to your country, you can join in the fun!
Thanks for thinking of small businesses and their employees this holiday season, and thanks for being an Elm Creek Reader!