Update: No more blocks needed! Thanks to everyone who pitched in.
As frequent visitors to the Elm Creek Readers' Circle already know, C&T has agreed to publish a third Elm Creek Quilts pattern book! One of the projects included in the book will be a reproduction of the Chimneys and Cornerstone quilt Great-Aunt Lucinda sews for Sylvia's cousin, Elizabeth, upon the occasion of her marriage and move to a ranch in southern California.
Would you like to help me make this quilt? I need 80 kind, generous, and able quilters to assist me by making a block for a Chimneys and Cornerstones quilt. Here are the requirements:
(1) Piece a 7″ finished (7.5″ unfinished) Chimneys and Cornerstones block using prewashed green and blue fabrics for the dark “logs,” cream, off-white, or light beige for the light logs, and solid red fabric for the small squares. The logs are cut 1.5″ wide for a finished width of 1″. The length of the logs varies. (Please see illustrations below.)
(2) There are two variations of the Chimneys and Cornerstones block included in the quilt:
48 blocks needed.Update:No more blocks needed.
32 blocks needed.Update:No more blocks needed.
(Blocks are not pictured actual size.)
(3) Please sign a 2.5″ plain background fabric square with your name, city, state/province, and country. Please use permanent ink and take care to avoid writing in the .25″ seam allowance. These signature squares will appear on the back of the quilt.
(4) Mail your block and signature square to: Elm Creek Quilts, PO Box 620824, Middleton, WI 53562 USA
(5) Please note:
* Since the blocks will be sewn into one quilt, your block cannot be returned to you.
* A photo of the quilt will appear in my third pattern book from C&T Publishing, not in an Elm Creek Quilts novel.
* If you want to participate, you will need to sign a release form for publication.
* Be sure to let me know if you do not want to be identified on this web site and/or in the book as a contributor to the quilt.
* If I receive more than 80 blocks, 80 will be chosen at random for the quilt top. Any remaining blocks will appear on the back with the signature squares, but all will be included as long as they meet the requirements.
* Blocks that do not meet the pattern, fabric, or size requirements, or that arrive too late after the deadline to be included in the quilt, will be used for charitable purposes to be determined later.
(6) Please write to me by using the Contact form on my website to let me know you're participating. Please let me know which variation of the Chimneys and Cornerstones block you plan to make.
Deadline for blocks to arrive at Elm Creek Quilts is August 1, 2006 — or until enough blocks are received. Thanks in advance for your help!
Warning for Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Quilters: Although they are presented in the same style, these patterns are not interchangeable with the patterns for Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. The Chimneys and Cornerstones block in Sylvia's Bridal Sampler is 6″, while Elizabeth's Chimneys and Cornerstones quilt uses 7″ blocks.