Today is the official publication day of my twenty-second novel, The Spymistress — an enthralling historical novel set during the Civil War era inspired by the life of “a true Union woman as true as steel” who risked everything by caring for Union prisoners of war—and stealing Confederate secrets.
Born to slave-holding aristocracy in Richmond, Virginia, and educated by northern Quakers, Elizabeth Van Lew was a paradox of her time. When her native state seceded in April 1861, Van Lew’s convictions compelled her to defy the new Confederate regime. Pledging her loyalty to the Lincoln White House, her courage would never waver, even as her wartime actions threatened not only her reputation but also her life.
Van Lew’s skills in gathering military intelligence were unparalleled. She helped to construct the Richmond Underground and orchestrated escapes from the infamous Confederate Libby Prison under the guise of humanitarian aid. Her spy ring’s reach was vast from clerks in the Confederate War and Navy departments to the very home of Confederate president Jefferson Davis.
Although Van Lew was posthumously inducted into the Military Intelligence Hall of Fame, the astonishing scope of her achievements has never been widely known. In this riveting tale of high-stakes espionage, a great heroine of the Civil War finally gets her due.
My book tour begins on Tuesday, October 1 in Madison, Wisconsin, and will take me to many wonderful bookstores and libraries across the country:
- Tuesday, October 1 — Barnes & Noble West Towne, Madison, WI
- Wednesday, October 2 — Books and Company, Dayton, OH
- Thursday, October 3 — A Likely Story, Sykesville, MD
- Friday, October 4 — Quail Ridge Books & Music, Raleigh, NC
- Friday, October 4 — Flyleaf Books, Chapel Hill, NC
- Saturday, October 5 — Tattered Covered, Highlands Ranch, CO
- Sunday, October 6 — Scottsdale Public Library, Scottsdale, AZ
- Tuesday, October 8 — Al Ringling Theater, Baraboo, WI
- Thursday, October 10 — Boswell Book Company, Milwaukee, WI
- Sunday, October 13 — Cedar Falls Public Library, Cedar Falls, IA
- Monday, October 14 — Carnegie-Stout Library, Dubuque, IA
- Thursday, October 17 — Notre Dame Bookstore, Notre Dame, IN
- Saturday, October 19 — Notre Dame Bookstore, Notre Dame, IN
Please visit the Events page of my website for more details.